Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Boot

Hey. Just got back from Milan a little bit ago. It's kind of cool  in Europe you can just hop on a train and two hours later you are in a different country; and for pretty cheap too. So we made it to Milan yesterday (Friday morning) and I felt like I was back in Paris, save the fact that everyone was speaking Italian rather than French and Milan was much cleaner too.
Unfortunately the cheapest hotel was rather far from the center of the city and we had less than 48 hours to spend there, so there was a lot of running around...in the rain. We went and saw del Duomo di Milano which was right in the center of the Piazza del Duomo which is basically a giant shopping strip of high end fashion and brands such as Prada, Louis Vuitton and all those fancy shenanigans. And for those of you that went I went to France with you didn't have to wait in line to go into the Louis Vuitton store! I suppose the French are a little more uptight than the Italians; although the Milanians (?) and Parisians do have similar attitudes, probably a big city thing (the French are definitely a little harder to please though). 
The church was absolutely beautiful. Mom, you would have loved it, but maybe you've been there already, I don't know...in an case, it was cool and I took pictures for you. The architecture of the cities in Europe still amazes me. Like, how did they build such massive structures out of stone back then?! And everything is so perfect and precise. I mean this church was just massive, and maybe I'm not remembering St. Joseph's (Montreal), Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur as well and my comparison was distorted, but del Duomo di Milano was huge! Back then they probably had a better work ethic and more patience...and more time to put into building giant cathedrals because they didn't need to check their facebook or update their blog so they could build amazing things like that that last for centuries X) Way cool stuff people, way cool.
Another thing Mom and Dad might not want to read...not that it's bad but I'm sure you guys don't want to know that we got to enjoy Milan at 2 in the morning. I promise that I'm perfectly safe mom and you shouldn't worry because I ski raced, I kind of play hockey, and I'm not afraid to take on a 1 ton animal hurtling my way in attempts to break out into the pasture...so no worries, right mom? Anyway, since the metro closed at 1am, we pretty much walked the entire way to the square from our hotel which was quite a few miles. It was probably the best time to go out though because there weren't pigeons everywhere and we got to talk to some people and get a feel of what the night life in Milan is like. Met a nice couple and a group of ladies and the city was beautiful at night. We walked around a little bit this morning before we caught the train back to Locarno to make it to the festival that's happening tonight, which I am enjoying a bit of right now as there is live music playing in the piazza right off our balcony. Here it is sunny and not rainy. I would also like to congratulate my hair for behaving theses past to days in the humidity and the rain; it didn't get to wild ;') so proud! 

Milan was awesome, I wish we had more time to further explore, but I'll save that for a later date. Save most of Italy for a later date because I am going back, get more in touch with my people! Woooo
I think I've written enough for now, I want to get out and enjoy the music and free food that's happening. 
But before I go, my beautiful roommate is headed to Jordan today so I want to wish her safe travels and if you're interested she's also doing a blog so feel free to check it out:

 http://hellofromamman.blogspot

And also I want to congratulate the Pens!!!! Following hockey while I'm here is super hard, but ya... Yay Penguins! :) 


All of us ladies (minus one :/) in front of del Duomo di Milano

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I love you.
    I'm in JORDAN! Like its crazy!
    Yours sounds like a blast. You are seriously doing more than I am going to do. Still jealous :(
    And its SO hot!

    ReplyDelete